Monday, August 6, 2007

Mount Washington Hike





Another goal achieved!

Last Saturday I hiked Mount Washington with some friends, old and new, along with my brother-in-law.

We arrived at the base camp of the Tuckerman's Ravine Trail around 10:00am having driven over 3 hours. After gathering gear and making one last "pit stop," we were on our way.

The day was bright and sunny with a cool breeze giving us a break every now and then. We couldn't have asked for a better day.
For 2.4 miles the trail was wide and easy to navigate with a steady climb that was comfortable. After about 2 hours of hiking, we reached the Hermit Lake shelters where we took a long break before tackling the ravine headwall. This was a steady, challenging assent, much of it required large, lifting steps and pulling up and onto boulders. It took us 1 1/2 hour to reach the summit cone. This next section was 100% rock climbing rather than hiking.
It was at this point that I began to question the wisdom of this goal. I could see the summit. It was in reach. My body, however, was overwhelmed with shear exhaustion. Additionally, I was now plagued with a cramping spasm in my right quadriceps muscle. The thought of a helicopter rescue kept me motivated to nearly crawl ahead, one painful step at a time.
After 30 more minutes, we all made it to the top! Someone decided to play a cruel joke on all hikers reaching the top: there are stairs leading to the actual summit point. I found myself clinging to the railing and pulling myself up every single step, determined to make it to the summit. From start to top, we hiked for 4 hours.
The summit has a snack bar and we all enjoyed chili, clam chowder and hot dogs. That's all I needed to reinvigorate for the hike down.
We took Lion's Head Trail back down. While it was steeper and rougher, it was also less crowded and had some spectacular views.
The trail eventually reconnects with the Tuckerman's trail and signalled to us the last part of our journey. I kept thinking that we certainly must be near the end NOW, when in fact , it took us another 1 1/2 hours to return to the base lodge. The hike down took a little over 3 1/2 hours. All totalled, we were on that mountain for 8 1/2 hours.
While I am proud of having climbed Mt. Washington 3 times, I can now hang up my hiking boots. I'm done. Stick a fork in me. The struggle that I encountered during the last 30 minutes of the assent, helped convince me that I have nothing to prove to myself. My aching muscles today sealed the deal.
Thanks to my hiking team for making this fun and exciting: Joe, George and Kristen, Jason and Colleen. ...and thanks to my husband for his support and for having the foot soak ready when I got home.

4 comments:

Kate Nepveu said...

Great pictures, and go you!

Anonymous said...

Looks a lot like Scotland!!!!
I am on my way with "TheTin" that will help you achieve a simple more relaxing goal next August

Anonymous said...

What a hike!!! My brother and my family hiked just the top of Mt.Mansfield to let fly my dads ashes.You are intrepid, incredible and in shape!!!! Love Ya! MEODunn

Linda said...

What a lovely tribute. I'm so sorry for your loss. Love, L