Saturday, December 22, 2007

Happy Holidays!

I just wanted to take some time and share a Christmas story with you. In the chaos of the season, sometimes we forget...

I work at a school for emotionally disabled children. These kids are damaged beyond belief by genetics and circumstances, many from unspeakable abuses at the hands of those that they love and trust the most. I had an encounter with one of our younger kids yesterday that brought tears to my eyes.
It was recently revealed that this child has been repeatedly sexually abused by someone in his household. He's been having great difficulty at school lately, erupting in rages and then collapsing in heart-wrenching sobs. I approached the boy to offer him a "Merry Christmas" greeting. His eyes fixed on the cheap, loud jingle bell I had dangling from my neck. In an almost inaudible voice, I heard him say, "I used to have a bell like that and I wore it every year. It's all rusted now." His eyes dropped to his lap and a sad look clouded over him. I slowly removed the bell and placed it over his head and around his neck. The boy gently cradled the bell in his hands and said softly, "It was just like this one." Not understanding that I had given him the bell, I said, "You can keep it." His eyes lifted to meet my gaze and a look of disbelief and amazement swept over his face. "I can keep it? It's mine?" I smiled and assured him that he could keep it.

Seeing this child's face light up over such a simple gift was overwhelming for me and I had to leave the room. I can only hope that this little Christmas bell rings for him for a very long time.

Merry Christmas.

No comments: