Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Fashion Issues

Am I the only one who is bothered by the following fashion trends?

  • Big, baggy pants that hang below the butt, often with boxers waving in the breeze? I know this has been a trend for quite some time now. I just don't get it. Whenever I have questioned a devotee of this trend, they tell me it's more comfortable than "rear riders" (or "butt huggers" or "wedgie wear"). I'm not buyin' it. Ever seen one of these fashonistas walking down the street? Either they are clutching onto the waistband or striding with legs wide-apart. Yup, that looks comfortable.
  • Sweatpants or sweatshorts with something written across the backside. It started with "BUM" sportswear and has gone downhill since then. All this does is emphasize someones biggest (and in many cases, I mean BIGGEST) asset. Even the tiniest woman looks like she has extra junk in her trunk. This is not a good look.
  • Women over the age of 24 with vibrantly colored streaks in their hair. I'm not talking about honey-blond or golden highlights. I'm talking about colors that are not found in nature. Brilliant reds, neon-blues, putrid purples. Wash it out. You look stupid. While we're at it, how about those women who add those copper-ish tones? Copper is not a hair color. It's for pennies.
  • Tight, tight, skin-tight tops. Usually these are worn by women who sport fuller figures. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against women who have a little extra meat on their bones. I just don't like having all that extra falling, rolling or hanging out for everyone to ogle. Then there's the issue of keeping the top in place. I've noticed way too much time spent pulling and tugging. What is the point?
  • Crocs. OK, this is where I'm going to get it. Sorry, but those ridiculous-looking rubber shoes should only be worn by... gosh, I can't even think of who should wear them. They are not cute. ...the little buttons that can be purchased to dress them up are not helping. These "shoes" (I use this term lightly) were made for gardening. That's where they belong. Buried in the garden. [I should probably take my own "hit" for wearing Teva sandals (also known as "Jesus sandals). They are ugly, I admit it. I'm addicted to their comfort.]

Gosh, I sound crotchety. Must be getting older.

3 comments:

Martha said...

I think I know exactly what triggered at least one of those bullet points. Hee.

J. Roaf said...

I'd like to know what triggered it!

This is what blogs were made for...ANGRY RANTS!

I agree with every one on your list. My wife wears crocs and I always tell her how ridiculous and ugly I think they look (notify the husband of the year board!).

I've always hated the drooping pants...as a man, the skin tight tops aren't so offensive on the right ladies...I'm joking!

By "right ladies" I of course mean my wife.

Linda said...

How could I forget those who think wearing pajamas out in public is fashionable?