Sunday, October 14, 2007

Non-Smoker's Editorial

I just came back from a day of fun and games at Foxwoods. While I did not return with any extra money in my pockets, I did come back with something: second-hand cigarette smoke. Yuck.

This was our first time at Foxwoods and we were shocked at how poor the ventilation system was. We have gone to Mohegan Sun many times and never experienced that high a level of smoke assault. While we spent most of our time in the non-smoking section, we did have to walk through the smoker areas to get to food and shops. It was really unpleasant.

I have to wonder what makes a person smoke. I know that, as a teenager it's a kind of status-thing, being cool and all. As an adult, there just seems to be no reason whatsoever to smoke. It's smelly, ugly, expensive and can ruin your health.

One of my last memories of my dad is seeing him on his deathbed in the hospital. At the V.A. hospital in those days, patients were allowed to smoke. Here was my dad, dying of throat cancer, a huge hole in his throat. He sat in his bed, smoking. The smoke from the cigarette pouring out through the hole in his throat. I'm sure dad would be very sad if he knew that in that moment, he created such a painful and lasting image.

After a shower and washing my clothes, I can still smell the putrid odor of cigarettes. I have a slightly metallic flavor in my mouth that I can only attribute to the smoke. I can only imagine what the second-hand smoke has done to my lungs.

If you smoke, quit.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

5 comments:

Martha said...

Amen, sister.

My dad was a two (plus)-pack-a-day smoker, who died at age 44 of esophageal and stomach cancer. It makes me heartsick that my younger brother smokes, after we lost our dad to it.

J. Roaf said...

It truly is a fascinating thing. As Dennis Leary (whom I can't stand) once said, and I'm paraphrasing, "They could stick a skull and cross bones on the box and label it CANCER and people would still buy them".

Sad but true.

You should try reading a book called "The Tipping Point". While it is not about cigarettes, it is extremely interesting and there is a section in there about what could possibly be done to curb cigarette addiction.

J. Roaf said...

On an off subject note, that is a great picture of Martha!

Linda said...

There are just WAY too many sad stories about smokers and cancer.I just don't get it. Why does someone make that choice?

Linda

PS/Martha takes a good photo!

Martha said...

I'm blushing. Thank you.

It's all the smoking I don't do. ;-)