Thursday, October 25, 2007

In Honor of Our Anniversary

Today Don and I celebrate our 35th wedding anniversary. This year is particularly significant. We faced a couple of potentially life-threatening medical issues that could have prevented us from reaching this milestone. It has made each moment precious and the possibility of not seeing another anniversary very real.

It's hard to believe that we have been together for over 35 years. It seems like just yesterday that I was fresh out of high school and eager to begin a new adult life. It was so exciting to see all the possibilities of a life together laid out before us.


As the years passed, we struggled together to face some difficult, life-changing events: confronting the heartbreak of our infertility and the joy of adopting Kate and Adam, comforting each other in shattering losses of loved ones, seeking normalcy despite some chaotic times.


Others may have crumpled and given up. We are champions. We faced each trial with strength and determination. When one of us felt weak and tired, the other held up.

Our family has never been big on celebrating milestones. Birthdays come and go with cakes and gifts. Beyond that, not much of a fuss. The same with anniversaries. While other families may celebrate with huge gatherings to honor these events, we usually go out for a quiet dinner at one of our favorite places.


This year feels different, however. I want to shout it from the rooftops: "WE MADE IT!"


As we share our traditional intimate dinner tonight, I will once again gaze into the eyes of the 21 year old boy that I married. I will see the possibilities of a life laid out before us and imagine us growing older together.

2 comments:

Me said...

Wow, Linda! I love the before and after pics! Look at the wedding picture! You're all covered up in white. Then, contrast that with the picture at the bottom of your blog - that's is one sexy thang right there! Congratulations guys!

Linda said...

I looked like the Virgin Mary, didn't I? I sewed my own wedding dress and veil. Not something I'd even attempt today!