Saturday, November 3, 2007

Where to Eat

I love to eat. I don't love to cook. Consequently, we eat out at least once a week. [Note: this used to be more often before Weight Watchers entered my life.] Here are a few of my favorite places. Please feel free to add your own comments and suggestions.

  • The Left Bank, formerly Silks at Stonehedge Inn in Tyngsboro. This is our all-time, dress-up-and-be-elegant, special occasion place. The food is exquisite and service is impeccable. They have the largest wine selection in New England, if not the US. Prices are very high but save up and you will not be disappointed. They also have a Sunday brunch that is very good.
  • Capellini's in Tewksbury and Methuen. Good Italian, reasonable prices. Go during the week as there will be a wait on weekends.
  • Naked Fish in Billerica (actually on the Burlington line). Varied menu highlighting fresh fish. LOVE the tuna sashimi appetizer. Best chocolate martini around. They will take reservations (a HUGE plus on Saturday nights). Prices are moderate.
  • Great Wall in Bedford, MA. Chinese food. Order from the menu or choose the large, reasonably priced buffet. Service is very good.
  • India Palace in Chelmsford. Fast, friendly service. Indian food cooked by Indians. You can specify "mild" or "hot". The real deal at very good prices. (Thanks, "MC")
  • Fishbones in Chelmsford (center of town). I like this place better than Legal Seafood. Fresh, perfectly-cooked fish at moderate prices. The atmosphere is a bit noisy and the service not quite as sharp as I like it but the quality of the food more than makes up for it. (Another "MC" recommendation!)
  • Shorty's for Mexican. I know it's a chain but there aren't too many Mexican places to choose from. They have a large menu with good prices. It borders on "utility food" but is always consistent and will do well in a pinch.
  • The Common Man. There are several but I've been to the one in Concord, NH (just off the highway). The menu has allot of variety and the prices are good.
  • Skipjack's several locations, including Boston. Another seafood place. Prices are steeper but the quality is great.
  • Michael Timothy's in Nashua. We went there for the first time for our anniversary last week. The service was excellent and we had a wonderful meal. The menu selection is small with weekly chef specials. Prices were high. We weren't crazy about the loud atmosphere and there is no parking. We'll go back to enjoy the jazz in the lounge on a Saturday night.

For chains we like Outback and Longhorn. For Road grub on the highway, Burger King over McDonald's.

Anyone else with favorites to add?

4 comments:

Martha said...

Well, seeing as how two of my favorites are already listed... ;)

Vincenzo's in Chelmsford is really good, if a bit pricey.

Our go-to place for sushi/Japanese, even though there are closer places, is Blue Fin on Route 114 in Middleton. A little more of a drive, but everything is always fresh, fresh, fresh.

For Vietnamese, we like Pho 88, on the North Chelmsford/Lowell line at Drum Hill. You're not going to spend much more here on a huge (and I do mean huge) bowl of noodle soup than you would for an extra value meal at BK/McD's/etc., and it's infinitely tastier and better for you.

It's not a restaurant, but I can't resist adding a plug for my favorite coffee place: Java Mama's in Westford. They roast their own beans, and you can purchase them (whole or ground). It's really good coffee, and I don't know where they get their baked goods, but the pumpkin muffins with cream cheese buttercream frosting should be illegal, they're so good.

I might just steal this idea for my blog!

J. Roaf said...

The Villa Banca in Nashua is top notch

as is The Homestead in Londonderry, NH

I also enjoy Bainbridges right down the street from Lighthouse in Chelmsford.

Can't say I recommend any fast food chains!

Anonymous said...

Hi Linda! We recently tried the Saffron Bistro, also on Main St. in Nashua. It was quite lovely. We ate outside so I did not get a feel for the indoor atmosphere, but the service was excellent and the food delicious. They seemed to have a nice wine selection, too. The prices appeared similar to those of Michael Timothy's. Reservations are recommended. There is also a nice place that has been around for ages on Amherst St. in Nashua called The Country Tavern. The atmosphere is simple, the food very good. It's in an old house that is said to be haunted. I also love this Italian place that appears to be a hole in the wall, sort of across the street from Country Tavern. I think it's called Cucina Toscana? I'm sorry that I can't remember the name, we havent' been since before our little one came. Don't be fooled by the strip mall exterior. It is small inside, but everything we've had seemed so fresh and authentically Italian. I also love Parker's Maple Barn in Mason, NH, if you're up for a drive out to the boonies. Big, tasty breakfasts and comfort food served in a barn with woodstoves. The Tokyo Steakhouse is always good, too. They prepare the food in front of you - Teppanyaki is the term, I think. Delicious fried rice, good steak and seafood. That's al I can think of for now! Love, Colleen

Linda said...

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. We're going out to eat with my daughter and son-in-law tomorrow night and I may try some place new!