Saturday, November 17, 2007

Where Did Thanksgiving Go?

Here it is, the weekend before Thanksgiving. I can't believe it's here. Maybe that's because all the TV ads and stores are screaming at us to begin our Christmas shopping. Where did Thanksgiving go?

I suppose the retail industry has the need to boost sales with early-shopping specials. That's all well and good. However, I think it's taking it WAY too far when I hear Christmas carols while I'm shopping for Halloween decorations. Why can't they wait until after Thanksgiving? We'll still have the same number of people to buy gifts for.

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. It evokes some of the fondest memories of my childhood: the smell of turkey roasting all day; the anticipation of taking that first bite of delicious, juicy turkey; sitting at the "kids table"; the hot-muggy feeling in the kitchen mingled with the hustle and bustle of activity; the sounds of family members talking and laughing; arguing over the prized legs; pulling on the wishbone until it snapped and a "winner" declared, secure in the knowledge that their wish would come true; leftovers; the satisfying feeling of a full belly and heart.

Thanksgiving, for me, has always meant a time to enjoy the simpler pleasures of good food, loving family and friends. It's a holiday that comes from the heart and nurtures the soul. I always feel connected to a larger force, that I am not alone in this world and thankful for all the blessings of my life.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

To my dear friend Linda - Happy Thanksgiving to you, too! Love, Colleen

J. Roaf said...

Speaking of where did things go...the end of today came and next thing I knew I realized I had not spent more than a second with my favorite LHS employee (besides my wife of course!). This is a mistake I shan't repeat! I am sorry I did not get to talk to you more...till next time!

Linda said...

No worries. Just having you there made the celebration complete.